Is Your Shampoo Cleaning Your Hair and Scalp or Harming It?
As a hairdresser by trade, I’m fussy what goes on my hair because it’s so long, use something that isn’t good and takes days to get back in check again. Using something free from harsh chemicals, detergents, phthalates, carcinogens, synthetic fragrances is good for me, my skin, my hair, my body and the environment
Shampoo is an important part of our personal hygiene. Who doesn’t want a clean, smooth, healthy-looking, right? But getting that by damaging our hair, scalp and the environment further isn’t necessary any more. So many people aren’t aware that this common hair care product may contain ingredients that could be harming their health. Most of the time, we choose a certain type of shampoo based on four things
3. Perceived Effectiveness
Being Vegan and Gluten Free now for over 4 years, you change over your Eating and Drinking habits, then you start looking at the other products you are putting ON your skin. Beauty and Health radiates from the inside out, but if what you are putting on the outside is just as bad then you are stopping yourself from reaching maximum benefit, not to mention looking at how the products are tested and where they have come from. A number of consumers are now reading the ingredients on hair and skin bottles and basing their purchasing decisions on safety. Turns out almost all commercial shampoos and conditioners are full of chemicals that’ll destroy the health of your scalp and hair.
But do you really know what is in your hair Products?
Shampoos are generally made by combining a surfactant, most often sodium lauryl sulfate (or sodium laureth sulfate), with a co-surfactant, most often cocamidopropyl betaine in water to form a thick, viscous liquid. But some of the ingredients that are commonly used are harsh chemicals that have been shown to be potentially harmful to human health, either individually or in combination with other ingredients. May pose various health risks ranging from skin conditions to cancer. This is becoming alarming that so many products on the market are like this and we don’t really bat an eye lid.
Polyethylene Glycol (PEG)
- Used in making cleansers to dissolve oil and grease as well as thicken products contribute to stripping the Natural Moisture Factor, leaving the immune system vulnerable
- Potentially toxic to organ systems
- Also often contaminated with Ethylene Dioxide and/or 1-4 Dioxane
- Known as a carcinogenic compound
- Toxic to organ systems
- Regularly contaminated with nitrosamines, which may be toxic to the liver and digestive, reproductive and other body systems
- Can cause skin irritation
- Potentially toxic/harmful to organ systems
- Known to cause enhancement of absorption of other chemicals into the body (through skin)
- May be potentially toxic to immune system
- Can cause allergies
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS)
- Strong chemicals that give shampoos the foamy quality. Are harmful to health
- Can cause scalp irritation
- Can irritate eyes
- In children, it may prevent proper development of eyes
- A known potential environmental toxin
Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES)
- Can cause skin and eye irritation
- Potentially harmful to human health
- In shampoos, it’s commonly contaminated with Ethylene Dioxide and/or 1-4 Dioxane, both of which are extremely hazardous (may cause cancer and reproductive problems and are toxic to most body systems)
Skin is a Carrier not a Barrier. It’s your largest organ and one of the most important thing when you put something on your skin it is a pathway to your body.
This fact may cause a shock for all of us. We never expected that the product we thought to be an essential part of our personal hygiene can be a source of harmful, toxic. Even carcinogenic compounds. Many of these products are claimed to be safe by a lot of companies, unfortunately, we can at least say, that human health is not entirely their top priority.
There is now a growing trend that sees companies creating safer personal care products. Some manufacturers are now eventually getting the message from consumers to have a safer pool of personal care products. Take a look at your daily products today and see what is actually in them
Want your own? Take a look here or message me to chat some more about discounts. Ideal for Salons and Health Stores to stock.
Katrina Gelderbloem Non Toxic Hair, Nails & Skin Promoter
Facebook Group: @LoveKatrina
Don’t miss out all – Join my Facebook Group today & come and say hi to the community!